Tuesday 17 February 2015

NHL Arenas

In the NHL there are 30 arenas scattered around North America to which I have seen over half and attended a game in 13 of these arenas.
I have compiled a list of thoughts on all of the different rinks I have been to and what it was like to attend a game or two there.

So I figure I could start in the Canadian arenas.  Of the 7 in the league I have attended games in 4 of them and seen 5. So I will start there and see where it goes.

1. Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary.  This was the first NHL arena I had ever been in and the first I had ever seen a game in.  I can't remember who played way back then but I do know I have seen many many teams come through.  My feel on this arena is that it needs an update, and bad.  After travelling around and seeing some different places, the Saddledome has to have some of the worst sight lines around.  On game days the atmosphere is good, with loads of people dressed in their flaming C jerseys ready to be a part of the "C of Red" and help cheer on their Flames.  There have been some additions around the concourse to show off some of the history of the building and the games (NHL and Olympic) that have been played here which is nice to walk around and see.  The concourses themselves are tight all around.  So it can get a bit congested between periods and after games.  The fans themselves are pretty good.  Quite knowledgeable about hockey, as you would expect, and know how to have a good time.  Ticket prices are crazy though.  Since the Stanley Cup run in 04 prices have skyrocketed and haven't come down at all.  Now you will find a lot of oil field companies using suites as a thank you or to woo new clients.  But at the end of the day, they have little impact on how things feel in the "dome". 
As far as places to go and drink or eat around here, there are plenty within walking distance.  The "red mile" is only a brief walk down 17th ave.
Finally, this isn't a first pick of places to go and watch a game unless you are a die hard fan of the Calgary Flames or you really want to see your favourite team when they come through town.


2. Rexall Place in Edmonton.  I have been here a few times to check out the Oilers play and I have to say, as old as the building is, there isn't a bad seat in the place and the atmosphere (way back when I went) was very lively.  Since then though things have changed a bit with the multiple losing seasons, but it is still a good place to watch some hockey.  The building it self could definitely use some touch-ups.  There isn't much in the way of space around the concourse and line-ups are long for everything, much like Calgary.  I know that the Oilers are getting a new arena in the near future which should be a great thing for that city and this team, but until then they will have to make due.  The fans themselves are pretty good.  Knowledgeable about the game and their team and seem to always have good input as to what their team needs.  Last time I was there, the place was loud and a little rowdy making for a good time. But like any venue where alcohol is served, things can go from fun to troublesome in a hurry.  I found that unlike Calgary, most of their fans weren't so much the oil field execs as they were the grunts.  A blue collar crowd cheering for a blue collar team.
I don't remember what there was in the way of bars or restaurants around or at the rink, but I don't think there was a whole lot.  More local spots than anything.
Not a top spot to go check out some hockey, (not until the new rink is built) but still a pretty good option if you can afford it.

3. Rogers Arena in Vancouver.  I attended a game here (Trevor Linden's final home game) and was very surprised at what I experienced.  For me being a Canucks fan and finally getting a chance to get to go watch a home game for them was going to be all I needed to have a good time.  The arena itself isn't brand new but it has held up well since it was built. Especially after the riots.  There is a very good restaurant inside the arena that sits high up somewhere around the nosebleed seats.  The food was great and you can see the ice from there.  The fans were alright as far as game and team knowledge went but some seemed to just cheer because it was the local team or the right thing to do.  When the Canucks scored it was loud loud loud and a lot of fun.  I could only imagine what it was like during their playoff run in 2011.  The concourse was wider than the previous two but there were still long lines for pretty much everything there could be. Even to just use the condiment stand. 
The sight lines through this building seemed to be very good regardless of where you sat.  I sat in the lower bowl behind and right of the visiting goalie. Very good seats and a fun group around the section when we were there.  After the game you can walk towards downtown and find some places to eat or drink but be warned that you will encounter many homeless people begging for money or just yelling random things to no one in particular.  Still not enough to keep me from going back. Tickets are a little harder to come by than Calgary or Edmonton and are just as expensive.  Would only go if you can afford it or really want to watch your team play.

4. MTS Centre in Winnipeg.  This was probably one of, if not the best, times I have had at an arena.  I went to the home opener when they came back to the NHL and it was everything you thought it would be.  Until they lost.  The arena itself if situated downtown and walking distance to loads of places for food and drink.  There is a sports bar around towards the back that is large and worth a stop for some pub grub and some drinks before or after a game.  This is the smallest rink in the league and you can tell. It felt like you were hovering over top of the ice. But what it lacks for in seats it makes up for with intense atmosphere.  This place is loud! They could use to have a little newer and larger arena but they seem to make due with what they have right now. No one sat in the seats during the game we were at and it was so loud you couldn't hear yourself yell to your friend next to you.  Another blue collar team for a blue collar town.  Tickets are very expensive and can be very hard to come by depending on who is in town. But worth it just for the experience.  I have never seen so many people be so excited just for a game that it was amazing.  I know a few seasons have passed since then and things may be a little different but this still ranks right up there for me.
If you can get to Winnipeg and see a game, do it.  It is worth it.

The only other arena in Canada I have been to but never have seen a game is the Air Canada Centre in Toronto.  A large beautiful building and it all comes with a large unattractive price tag.
Very very expensive and that alone makes it hard to want to go and watch a game there.
Eventually one day I will, as well as Ottawa and Montreal, but for now, this is my Canadian list. 

I will post the rest of the rinks I have been to in a separate post in the coming days. 
Let me know what you think of the rinks you have been to and which ones you like the best or would like to get out to.
Thanks for reading and remember to get out and support your local teams and players.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment